This competition is held each year in memory of Bill Dunn who produced some remarkably creative images, well before the digital age. He is one of very few PPS members who have been awarded a Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society (FRPS).
The theme of the competition is “Creative Photography”. Many photographers have a great sense of creativity and want to break away from the rules and constraints of traditional photographs. Entries can be of any subject that embodies the elements of good design, arrangement or composition, and reflects the personal interpretation of the photographer, who wants to illustrate an idea.
All fully paid up members of Peterborough PS, Deepings CC, Wisbech CC, Bedford CC, Rushden PS, Fenland, Perkins PC, Pinchbeck CC, Swavesey CC, Spalding CC, Kettering and District PS, Burton Latimer and District PS, Melton Mowbray PS and March CC are eligible to enter this stand alone competition.
£4 per person, payable to "Peterborough Photographic Society" and sent to The Bill Dunn Competition Secretary (full details posted to invited clubs).
This year a CD will be issued to each entrant. Please let us know if you are a Mac user so you get the right version. The entry fee is to cover these costs. Entrants will not be required to pay again on the night, but to sign in on a separate sheet.
Each entrant may submit a maximum of three PDIs and/or three prints. These must be current work which has not been used previously in this competition and can be of any subject.
- Up to three prints may be entered.
- A digital copy of the printed image must also be supplied. Once a PDI copy has been sent, prints must be brought on the night of the competition.
- Maximum print size must be able to fit on a 40cm x 50cm mount board.
PROJECTED DIGITAL IMAGE (PDI) entries
- Up to three PDIs may be entered.
- Images may be captured by digital camera, digital scanning (by photographer or lab) off negatives, slides or prints.
- The images will be projected by Data Projector in landscape format. Images must, therefore, be no more than 1600 pixels wide and no more than 1200 pixels high, including any border or frame around the image. There is no longer any need to fill any blank space around any image with black.
Submitting digital images
Images should be saved as ’jpg’ or ‘jpeg’ format in sRGB colour. The FILENAME of each must be the TITLE preceded by the image number as follows:
- Image 01 (title)…
- Image 02 (title)…
- Image 03 (title) ....
Please state clearly which images are for the PDI section and which are copies of work entered in the Print section.
Entries may be submitted on CD which should be clearly labelled with the authors name, contact telephone number and e-mail address (if applicable) by using a firm permanent marker pen on the top surface of the disc. All CDs will be returned to the author after the competition, on the evening.
Entries may also be submitted on a USB Memory Stick which should also be labelled with the author’s name and contact details. All USB Memory sticks will be returned to the author after the competition, on the evening.
Entries can also be submitted as a file attachment to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All entries received will be acknowledged by a return email. Do check that the acknowledgement has been received by you.
The judge, having been briefed on the rules in advance, will be asked to comment on all work presented and to select the best image (print or PDI). The overall winner will be awarded with the Bill Dunn Memorial Trophy which he/she will hold for 12 months (to be returned prior to the following year's competition). The judge will also award up to three commended and three highly commended certificates at his/her discretion.
Terms and conditions
- All work must be delivered to the competition organiser by, at least one week before the competition is to be judged. Any late work will be refused entry.
- Entries incorrectly presented, for example in the wrong format, will be returned to the entrant for correction.
- Any image submitted into one year's competition may not subsequently be entered again in a subsequent year; nor can an image be entered again which is so similar as to be almost identical.
- The final image must be the photographer’s own work including the original image and all parts thereof. The photographer must own the copyright to all parts of the image. For the avoidance of doubt, use of images from any other source including, but not limited to, royalty free image banks and clipart are not permitted.
- PPS accepts no liability for breach of copyright by any member.
- In the unlikely event that a member wishes to make a complaint against an entry, then the PPS Complaints Procedure should be followed. A copy of this is available on request. If objections/queries/doubts are raised about any image, entrants will be expected to supply the necessary proof that all elements are their own work.
- PPS reserve the right to reject images which do not meet the entry criteria.
- Submission of entries will be taken as acceptance of all conditions.